Synthetic Marijuana Causes Psychosis in U.S. Navy Cadets

A new report from the Naval Medical Center in San Diego is the first to link the use of synthetic marijuana, also known as 'Spice', 'K2' and several other designer names, to new-onset psychosis. The report says that 10 young services members at the U.S. Naval Academy had to be locked up after using the drug.

"These are people who never had psychosis. They were so disorganized, so out of it, we had to lock them up [on our ward]. It’s pretty scary," said Dr. Donald Hurst, lead investigator on the study.

Only one of the young men had any history of psychiatric problems before they became daily users of the drug. The symptoms of psychosis left seven of the patients after eight days, but three of the patients still had lingering paranoid delusions five months after the study. The report is the first to link spice to new-onset psychosis in patients with no psychiatric histories.

The study comes after the federal government put an emergency nation-wide ban on synthetic marijuana last month and the DEA started raiding gas stations, convenience stores, smoke shops and other places where the drug is sold.

I loathe the fact that the term 'marijuana' is even tied to this stuff.

If you don't already know, 'Spice' or 'K2', or whatever you want to call it is actually a blend of herbs and spices that have been sprayed with a chemical that is designed to loosely mimic the effects of marijuana. But the fact is this stuff really has nothing to do with marijuana. It's just another chemical cocktail that will fry your brain.

Thousands of people have been admitted to emergency rooms all over the country in the past couple of years after smoking synthetic marijuana show symptoms such as confusion, delusions, paranoia, rapid heartbeat, nausea, vomiting, angina, seizures, agitation, anxiety, insomnia, suicidal ideation, blindness and psychomotor retardation.

Doesn't that just sound lovely? I can't wait to get some of this shit. Paranoid delusions here I come!

Seriously, though. I would really recommend avoiding this stuff. Putting all this terrible shit into your brain is not worth the buzz you might get from it. Please do the right thing and just smoke some weed for God's sake.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

  1. Totally agreed, some new stuff called MD5 made its way to Missouri (where I'm from), and as we know it always starts at the coast so I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same stuff these guys tripped on. I'm an occasional marijuana user and figured i'd pick some up to give it a try, one hit later: I'm up walking outside of the house at 1 a.m. with my dad following me down the street, but I couldn't understand anything he was saying (he was speaking without really saying anything meaningful, just basic phrases like "we've got to find the thing"), finally I turned to him and confronting him saying "you aren't my dad.. you're the high." and I ended up freaking my dad out because I believed he had truly became a personification of my high.. scary stuff, thank God I got out of it, but the auditory hallucinations of what I heard coming from my dad's mouth as well as the paranoid delusion are enough to show me this isn't synthetic weed. I would say smoking new brands of synthetic "weed" is the equivalent of reaching into a bowl full of pills and acid tabs and seeing what happens. Pure idiocy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I already read some material related to this. So just an advice, avoid circumstances and situations that provoke you to take marijuana.


    effects of marijuana

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment