NORML's 420 Cop Car Drawing Attention

Some really cool news out of Texas today:

The Dallas/Fort Worth chapter of NORML has come up with a clever way of attracting attention to the fight for marijuana legalization.

The chapter has purchased a used police vehicle at auction, re-numbered it as unit 420, added a green light bar and dubbed it the 'truth enforcement' vehicle.

According to a post on NORML's Web site, the car has been drawing plenty of attention from the public and also from the Dallas Police Department.

NORML public information officer David Sloan shared the story of his adventures in the car including getting pulled over by the cops:

"I just got stopped in 420 TRUTH CAR on Loop 820.  I was driving under the speed limit and a FTW PD traffic unit working stationary radar on the shoulder started kicking up dirt and gravel coming onto the freeway before I even past him.  (Indicating to me they’ve been watching for that car.)
His whole demeanor and tone was very friendly as he approached but was still somewhat official when he asked me to “turn the light bar on.”  I coulda been a dick and asked him if he had a warrant but I really wasn’t getting a “tude-vibe” from the guy at all.  What the hey…the GREEN lights are legal.  Once they were on he looked at them for a good three seconds doing the math.  (I really think he was expecting red/blues in the batch somewhere.)  Then he just kind shook his head and chuckled.
WTF?!?
Then he noticed an old City of FTW vehicle inventory sticker on the dash.  “371… was that a traffic unit?”  I said no it was a Low-Jack car… but I re-numbered it to 420.  He kinda chuckled again and said he noticed and something to the effect of everyone’s entitled to their own opinion.   Then he asked if he could get some pictures!  I told him sure and turned the light bar back on for him.  He pulled out his phone and began snapping away.  (I got a shot of him… gettin a shot of me… attached!)
We exchanged cordial adieus and I was on my way. He wasn’t menacing or harassing at all.  I think they are just curious.   I’m sure those pics got the FTW-PD most-forwarded award for the afternoon shift!  Now just three more shifts to go!  LOL"

You can read the full story on NORML's Web site.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments